Back in 2011, President Obama promised Sarah Brady that he was working on gun control being quoted as saying to her, “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”
So over the past 2 years, what has “under the radar” entailed? While the President continues to fail infringing on gun rights by championing legislation, he succeeds by sneaking through continuous executive orders and other directives to federal agencies in order to push forward his gun control agenda.
Through executive order the President has done the following:
- Bans the re-importation of over 600,000 historical M1 Garands to the US
- Makes it more difficult for gun trusts to purchase firearms
- Harassment of gun shops on the southern border
- Set up impediments for the return of property wrongly seized by the government
- Encourage, through Obamacare, for doctors to ostracize gun owners
- Push for industry bankrupting false science initiatives such as micro stamping
With the signing of the UN Arms Trade Treaty, the Obama administration has set up the groundwork for the following:
- Requiring a national registration to meet treaty requirements
“The most recent draft treaty includes export/import controls that would require officials in an importing country to collect information on the ‘end user’ of a firearm, keep the information for 20 years, and provide the information to the country from which the gun was exported. In other words, if you bought a Beretta shotgun, you would be an ‘end user’ and the U.S. government would have to keep a record of you and notify the Italian government about your purchase. That is gun registration. If the U.S. refuses to implement this data collection on law-abiding American gun owners, other nations might be required to ban the export of firearms to the U.S.”
Obama has spent the past 5 years staffing his administration and the courts with anti gun zealots.
- Attorney General Eric Holder: “We have to brainwash people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way. What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that’s not cool, that it’s not acceptable, it’s not hip to carry a gun anymore.”
- Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor: Wrote a legal theses at Princeton, “Deadly Obsession: American Gun Culture” wherein the text she argues that firearms have been illegal for individuals to own since the passing of the Bill of Rights.
- Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan: While working for the Clinton Administration drafted the executive order restricting the importation of semiautomatic rifles.
Then there is the absence of action on the Obama administration because sometimes no move is a strike against the 2nd Amendment.
- The administration continues to block the selling of used military brass to the public, driving up prices for ammunition while fuelling shortages
- Obama uses veto threats to stop nationwide reciprocation of concealed carry permits
These are what under the radar maneuvers look like in the Obama administration. While overt Manchin-Toomey type infringements are defeated in Congress thanks to the will of the people, these back door dealings that don’t get the same press and are harder to stop, continue. Obama is winning the shadow war on the 2nd Amendment because no one else is playing. He will continue to appoint rabid gun control zealots and he will continue to scrawl out executive orders that only infringe rights but makes no one safer.
The promise President Obama has made to Sarah Brady has been playing out his entire term and unless the public really starts looking under the radar they may find the 2nd Amendment completely undermined.